Determinants of tropical vegetation structure and function
These are being organised by Elmar Veenendaal before and after the symposium. Please note these are not included in your registration fee.
What to bring?
- Mosquito repellent, sun hat, kit and clothing that you would normally use in the field; in particular a good pair of walking booths etc. Other items may include a mosquito net and a light raincoat (It is the rainy season. Even though we are in the mid-season dry spell it may rain – last year there were peak rains in August).
- Bring a pair of binoculars and a bird guide for Ghana (e.g. the Helm guide to the birds of Ghana).
- In Kakum there is no power in the tree houses, so bring power banks and a torch. There is (probably slow) WiFi in Mole.
Programme for field trip to Kakum National Park (prior to the 44th NPS) ghct.org.gh/kakumpark/
9:00 Bus leaves Accra (travel time to Kakum is approx. 4 hrs)
The KNUST bus will pick us up from the Alisa hotel. Please note that traffic can make travel through Accra slow if you are travelling from another hotel.
14:00 Arrive at Kakum and eat lunch at the park
15:00–17:00 Forest Canopy walk or Forest walk (arranged at the park)
18:00 Dinner at the park
Evening walk to hopefully see owls and Nkulengu rail or other wildlife
Overnight stay in the Kakum National Park treehouses ghct.org.gh/kakumpark/attractions/camping/
6:00–7:30 Dawn chorus walk (either on the canopy walk way or on the ground)
10:00–12:00 Visit to Elmina Castle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmina_Castle
Drive through Cape Coast past Cape Coast castle
17:00 Arrival back in Accra
Cost for this excursion is 300 USD.
Programme for field trip to Mole National Park (after the 44th NPS) molemotelgh.com/home/visitor-info/
Early morning - Travel by plane to Tamale (flight number: AW-172, depart Accra airport 12:30)
Bus from Tamale to Mole
Depart Tamale 14:30 – Arrival Mole Hotel ca 17:00h
Evening: introductory lectures about Mole.
- Introduction to the Park’s History and Biodiversity (Park management 20 minutes)
- Vegetation of Mole and people’s attitudes towards fire management (Esther Amoako -20 minutes)
- Forest islands of West Africa Ghana and Sobey’s plot (Vincent Logah 20 minutes)
Social evening at the hotel with a possibly a short owls excursion within the premises if need be
6.00 Morning Chorus bird/game walk with bird experts (approx. 2.0 hrs)
8:00 Breakfast (after that times are flexible)
Daytime tours of Mole National Park looking at the various riverine forest, savanna and grassland vegetation types of the area.
Lunch (Probably Packed)
Nighttime drive with safari vehicles ca 1.5 h.
6:00 (2.5 h) Early morning game drive or bird walk.
10:00 leave for Tamale (Visit to Forest Island) and tourist shopping
Departure: Afternoon flight back to Accra at 17:30h (flight number: AW-181).
Cost for this excursion is 600 USD.