Innovation Grants awarded
The New Phytologist Trust provides small grants to assist innovation and advancement in plant science. Often this will be in the form of part-support/sponsorship of a scientific meeting or awards such as poster and lecture prizes. A list of past innovation grants awarded can be found below. If you would like to apply for a grant please send a preliminary enquiry to the Managing Editor.
Plant proteases and programmed cell death symposium, September 2018, Ghent, Belgium
When development meets stress: Understanding developmental reprogramming upon pathogenesis in plants, September 2018, Barcelona, Spain
- Poster prize, International Symbiosis Society meeting, July 2018, Corvalis, OR, USA
Dynamic plant systems (Gordon Research Conference: Plant Molecular Biology), June 2018, Holderness, NH, USA
- Poster and presentation prizes, Plant Environmental Physiology Group Early Career Scientist Symposium, May 2018, Sheringham, UK
GARNET Plant gene editing workshop, March 2018, Bristol, UK
Species range shifts and local adaptation – challenging ecological and evolutionary ideas and assumptions, January 2018, Nahuel Hapeí National Park, Argentina
- 27th Annual Western Photosynthesis Conference, January 2018, Arizona, USA
- Lancaster Environment Centre plant and crop science events, various dates, Lancaster, UK
Terrestrial ecosystems in a time of change: Thresholds, tipping points, and critical transitions, AGU annual meeting, December 2017, Louisiana, USA
- XVII National Congress on Plant Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, November 2017, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
- Oxford Botanic Garden public lecture series, October 2017, Oxford, UK
ICOM 9, August 2017, Prague, Czech Republic
Ecological Society of America annual meeting, August 2017, Oregon, USA
Plant metabolic engineering conference 2017, July 2017, New Hampshire, USA
EMBO workshop on intercellular communication in development and disease, July 2017, Berlin, Germany
- Ca2+ channels and signaling, International Botanical Congress, July 2017, Shenzhen, China
- Poster prize, ATBC 2017, July 2017, Merida, Mexico
- International molecular mycorrhizal meeting (iMMM), July 2017, Toulouse, France
- ICAR 2017, June 2017, Missouri, USA
- Poster prize, Woody Root 7, June 2017, Tartu, Estonia
- Poster prize, International conference on holobionts, April 2017, Paris, France
- Molecular biology of plant pathogens conference, March 2017, Durham, UK
- Bristol-Kyoto-Heidelberg workshop, February 2017, Bristol, UK
- Plant Omics and Biotechnology for Human Health, November 2016, Gent, Belgium.
- BioCrust 3: 3rd International Workshop on Biological Soil Crusts, September 2016, Moab, UT, USA.
- Moss 2016, September 2016, Leeds, UK.
- Gordon Research Conference: Dynamic interactions across scales from single molecules to fungal communities, June 2016, Holderness, NH, USA.
- PHYS-fest, June 2016, Konza Prairie Biological Station, KS, USA.
- Linnean Society Meeting at the Arnold Arboretum, May 2016, Harvard University, Boston, MA, USA.
- Plant Proteases, April 2016, Oxford, UK.
- 2nd international Molecular Mycorrhiza Meeting (iMMM). September 2015, Cambridge, UK.
- The rise and fall of photosynthate: Evolution of plant/fungus interactions from paleobotanical and phylogenomic perspectives. Symposium at Botany 2015. July 2015, Edmonton, Canada.
- EMBO Workshop: Mechanisms of plant speciation. June 2015, Norrtälje, Sweden.
- Molecular Biology of Plant Pathogens (MBPP) conference. April 2015, Bristol, UK.
- Botanical Microscopy 2015: Royal Sociey of Microscopy Event. April 2015, Exeter, UK.
- Incorporating mycorrhizal dynamics into large-scale models. April 2015, Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
- 24th Western Photosynthesis Conference. January 2015, Pacific Grove, CA, USA.
- The Plant Science TREE, to support this organisation’s on-going activities
- The Saw Trust, to support this organisation’s on-going activities
- New perspectives on climbing plants, October 2014, London, UK
- UK Plant Evolution 2014, September 2014, Edinburgh, UK
- ESA Biogeosciences Section prize for best oral presentation by an early career researcher, August 2014, ESA, Sacramento, CA, USA.
- ESA Physiological Ecology Section New Phytologist poster prize, August 2014, ESA, Sacramento, CA, USA.
- 5th Plant NO club meeting, July 2014, Munich, Germany.
- 'The hows and whys of protein-membrane interactions in plants' session at SEB Manchester 2014, July 2014, Manchester, UK.
- Poster prize at Plant Calcium Signaling 2014, June 2014, Münster, Germany.
- Gordon Research Conference on Photosensory Receptors & Signal Transduction, April 2014, Lucca (Barga), Italy.
- Early career researcher prize for best student talk awarded to Presidor Kendabie, University of Nottingham. UK PlantSci 2014 Plant science - sustaining life on earth, March/April 2014, York, UK.
- Gordon Research Conference on Plant Volatiles, January 2014, Ventura, CA, USA.
- International Symposium of the British Lichen Society, January 2014, Nottingham UK.
- The IMS / New Phytologist J. L. Harley Medal awarded for the best paper presented by a graduate student at the 7th International Conference on Mycorrhiza, January 2013, New Delhi, India.
- Prize for Best Student Botany Presentation at the Canadian Society for Ecology and Evolution annual meeting, May 2013, Kelowna, Canada.
- Irish Plant Scientists’ Association Meeting (IPSAM), May 2013, Galway, Ireland.
- An Introduction to Opportunities in Synthetic Biology for Plant Scientists - a GARNet meeting. May 2013, Nottingham, UK.
- Student travel awards to attend the 30th Annual Interdisciplinary Plant Group Symposium on “Root Biology”. May 2013, Columbia, MO, USA. Awarded to Rammyani Bagchi (University of North Texas, USA) and Rahul Bhosale (University of Ghent, Belgium).
- Student poster session at the International Symposium on Plant Photobiology (ISPP). June 2013, Edinburgh, UK.
- Keiko Sugimoto plenary session at the 24th International Conference on Arabidopsis Research (ICAR) 2013. June 2013, Sydney, Australia.
- Third International Conference on Plant Vascular Biology 2013. July 2013, Helsinki, Finland.
- Symposium on 'Fungal Ecology Beyond Boundaries: From Communities to the Globe' at the 2013 American Phytopathological Society - Mycological Society of America Joint Meeting. August 2013, Austin, Texas, USA.
- Biogeosciences Prize, August 2013, ESA, Minneapolis, USA.
- New Phytologist poster prize, August 2013, ESA, Minneapolis, USA.
- New Phytologist Poster prize awarded to Sabine Recht at the 7th International Symbiosis Society Congress, July 22–28 2012, Krakow, Poland.
- XV International Congress on Molecular Plant−Microbe Interactions, Kyoto, Japan.
- Nitric Oxide Function in Plant Biology Meeting, Edinburgh, UK.
- International Society of Root Research Symposium, Dundee, UK.
- The International Conference on Polyploidy, Hybridization and Biodiversity, Prague, Czechoslovakia.
- Symposium ‘Evolution at the Plant-Animal Interface’ at the European Evolutionary Development meeting, Lisbon, Portugal.
- 2012 Molecular Biology of Plant Pathogen conference, Reading, UK.
- 10th European Nitrogen Fixation Conference Including satellite meeting: 1st Molecular Mycorrhiza Meeting, Munich, Germany.
- Biogeosciences Prize for best oral presentation, ESA, Portland, USA awarded to Bonnie Waring, University of Texas at Austin for her presentation entitled "Microbial responses to an imposed gradient of water availability in wet tropical forest soils".
- Billings Award/New Phytologist poster prize, Physiological ecology section, ESA, Portland, USA.
- Gordon Research Conference on Biogenic Hydrocarbons, Lewiston, ME, USA.
- Euroscience Open Forum 2012, Dublin, Ireland.
- Session 16 ‘Plant channels and transporters: new discoveries’ at the10th International Congress on Plant Molecular Biology, Jeju, Korea.
- Second Edition of Fungi of Serbia and Western Balkans and translation into English.
- Botanical Microscopy meeting, Royal Microscopical Society, Wageningen, the Netherlands.
- New Phytologist Prize for best graduate talk. Canadian Society for Ecology and Evolution, (CSEE) Banff, Alberta, Canada.
- Symposium on Molecular ecology and biodiversity of artic and boreal fungi. 79th Mycological Society of America meeting, Fairbanks, Alaska, USA.
- Symposium on Advances and next steps to measure and model the black boxes belowground. 96th Annual meeting for the Ecological Society of America, Austin, Texas, USA.
- Symposium on Transcriptional regulation in plants: regulation and mechanism. Annual meeting for the Society of Experimental Biology, Glasgow, UK.
- Billings Award/New Phytologist poster prize, Physiological ecology section, ESA, Austin, Texas, USA.
- Biogeosciences prize for best oral presentation, ESA, Austin, Texas, USA.
- Strasburger Symposium on intracellular transport to celebrate 100 year anniversary of Edward Strasburger’s death.'Experimental Plant Biology in 3P: Past, Present, Perspectives', 5th Conference of the Polish Society of Experimental Plant Biology (PSEPB), Wroclaw, Poland.
- Symposia on (i) Genetics and modeling of leaf development; (ii) Marchantia as a Model for Evolutionary and Developmental Biology; (iii) Developmental genetics and cell biology of Marchantia polymorpha; (iv) Pollen Biology and Pollen-Pistil Interaction, within the theme Structure, Development & Cellular Biology. XVIII Botanical Congress to be held in Melbourne, Australia.
- 2nd Annual PiCLS symposium Dundee, UK
- UK Plant Sciences Federation launch (Society of Biology), London, UK.
- Publication of 'Shaping Ecology: The Life of Arthur Tansley' by Peter Ayres published April, 2012 and supported by the Trust.
- XXI International Congress on Sexual Plant Reproduction, Bristol, UK.
- International Society for Plant Anaerobiosis, Pisa, Italy.
- Organization for Tropical Studies course: Chemical ecology of plant-animal interactions, La Selva Biological Station, Costa Rica.
- Annual Mycological Society of America meeting, sponsorship of symposium ‘Molecular insights into the fungus:host plant interface’, Lexington, KY, USA.
- Sponsorship of 'Plant responses' session at the 8th International conference on Pseudomonas syringae and related pathogens Oxford, UK.
- Mechanisms in plant development, FASEB meeting, Saxtons River, VT, USA.
- Irish plant scientists association meeting 2010, Dublin, Ireland.
- Billings Award/New Phytologist poster prize, Physiological ecology section, ESA, Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
- Biogeosciences prize for best oral presentation, ESA, Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
- 4th International symposium on phosphorus dynamics in the soil-plant continuum, Beijing, China.
- Sponsorship of International speaker at the Arsenic in Rice South-South Exchange Network for International Collaboration (ARSSENIC), Bangladesh.
- 3rd International workshop on the molecular aspects of seed dormancy and germination, York , UK.
- Plant calcium signaling, Münster, Germany.
- 5th European plant senescence meeting, Reading, UK.
- Advancing minirhizotron use to examine ephemeral root dynamics in peatland and high carbon ecosystems, Oak Ridge, USA.