The winner of the 2015 Tansley Medal is Dr Alexander M. Jones
Last updated: 25 Feb, 2016
We are delighted to announce that the winner of the 2015 Tansley Medal for excellence in Plant Science is Dr Alexander M. Jones of the Sainsbury Laboratory, Cambridge, UK.
Alexander was one of eight early-career applicants shortlisted for the second round of the competition. The finalists were invited to submit single-author reviews, published as Tansley insights in Vol. 210 Issue 1 of New Phytologist. Alexander’s Tansley insight, ‘A new look at stress: abscisic acid patterns and dynamics at high-resolution’, examines the role of abscisic acid (ABA) in stress and showcases the utility of Förster resonance energy transfer (FRET) biosensors in elucidating our understanding of ABA synthesis in stress responses, and in plant growth and development. To find out more about Alexander’s research, read his profile, and listen to the podcast below:
Alexander’s Tansley insight is published alongside an accompanying Editorial by Sarah Lennon, Managing Editor, and Liam Dolan, Section and Tansley Medal Editor, New Phytologist. The judging panel for the 2015 Tansley Medal was comprised of the following New Phytologist Editors: Prof. Amy Austin, Prof. Liam Dolan, Prof. Alistair Hetherington, Prof. Elena Kramer, and Prof. Natalia Requena. Alexander will receive £2,000 in addition to the Tansley Medal award.
The quality of finalists was extremely high and we offer our warmest congratulations to them all. The following Tansley insights by this year’s finalists are also published in Vol. 210 Issue 1 of New Phytologist:
- Plant fitness in a rapidly changing world, Jill Anderson
- A community genetics perspective: opportunities for the coming decade, Gregory Crutsinger
- Geminiviruses for biotechnology: the art of parasite taming, Rosa Lozano-Durán
- Subversion of plant cellular functions by bacterial type-III effectors: beyond suppression of immunity, Alberto Macho
- Integrating plant carbon dynamics with mutualism ecology, Elizabeth Pringle
- Wiring a plant: genetic networks for phloem formation in Arabidopsis thaliana roots, Antia Rodriguez-Villalon
- Comparative epigenomics: a powerful tool to understand the evolution of DNA methylation, Xuecha Zhong
Thank you to all the applicants for producing another high-standard competition this year, and many congratulations to Alexander Jones for his outstanding achievement!
To find out more about the Tansley Medal competition and view past winners by visiting the Tansley Medal pages.